Well, well. Finally we have some positive news to give you all!
As we mentioned in previous updates, we’ve been frustrated at the apparent lack of action on our attorney’s part. It seemed like he wasn’t in any hurry. Well, as it turns out, he HAS been doing stuff. He’s been trying repeatedly to get in touch with the tribe as well as Bmom’s legal husband—not actually K’s birth father—(whose rights have to also be terminated), but was unsuccessful. Long story short, we found out that we can go ahead with finalizing the adoption even if the tribe never responds. WONDERFUL NEWS!!! They have been silent so long, and we wondered if they'd ever respond. So, as of our conversation last week with our attorney, if the tribe doesn't respond by March 15th, he is going to move ahead with finalization. Basically what that means is that he will get a court order saying that he does not have to notify the tribe or the other birth-father about the finalization hearing. Then we will submit the paperwork to the state social worker, she’ll write the report, and then John (our attorney) will get a finalization court date. Once that date happens, K will be legally ours, and all this waiting and wondering will be OVER!
John said that if the tribe would have wanted K, they would have been on the phone the minute they heard about her (which was before she was born). Also, in the highly unlikely event that they took us to court right now to get K, it would look really bad for them that they’d waited this long to take action.
Bottom line: we are just sooooo excited that the end is in sight! It could very well take several months yet for the above steps to take place, but by spring K should be legally our daughter. It’s hard to put into words what that will mean to us. I think it would be hard to understand unless you’ve walked this road with your own child. Whatever the case, we are praising the Lord, and so very eager to be done with this whole business!
Praise the Lord!